The good stuff.. Food!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Figure out a way to make it fun.

I've had to figure out ways to make working out fun or at least distract me from wanting to just not do it. Exercise is a habit, I just like it to feel easy and want to do it. I decided I would take a break from studying.. (I do that a lot) reading a magazine instead. If anyone has ever read while working out.. it's a challenge in itself. My attention span reading any article or headline has to be one sentence or written really big, so I can read while bouncing up and down on the cross ramp. No easy task! 

Swimming to can be boring. Lap after lap. I had to find a way to enjoy it yesterday. I have been working on just kicking and doing scissor kicks back and forth for 30 minutes. I did find out yesterday that 32 laps are a mile.. I don't bother to count. For variety, I added in one arm strokes. Alternating between my right and left side every other lap. I then discovered to enjoy my swim and use it to relax.. I'd float on my back, kick board in my arms and kick down and back, keeping my ears completely submerged in the water. This worked great because all the daycare kids were making tons of noise in the pool and it took care of that... It was relaxing and peaceful. I can even add in one arm at a time or just do the backstroke minus the kick board. 

I am really determined to do a triathlon this summer. It's the next progression from running. I do love to bike and swim. It just seems like the perfect combo. I've heard the swimming is the most challenging of the race since it's the least practiced part for most. I've also heard of whats called the "brick". It's when you get off your bike and start running. Your legs feel like a brick. Something to practice doing this summer. Go for a long bike ride, followed by a 3 mile run. I'm actually looking forward to trying this out as I want to see what this brick is like and how heavy my legs might feel. 

Another random photo.. 
This is after the 1/2 mile.. I had to sit on the ground for a good 30+ minutes.. just recovering... I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of grass sitting after a tri... 
____________________________________________________

How much swimming is involved in a tri? That I don't know.. I guess it depends on the race. I will find out.. 

What did I do for exercise today? Cross ramp 1 hr, abs 10 min, swim 30, Body Pump 45 minutes. 

What are your goals for the Tri? Just to do it.. No need to try and place in my age group. I have no idea of what to expect. 

No comments: