The good stuff.. Food!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cutting back...

Today has not been my best day.... Who can blame me from the looks of the weather?? 
Our deck goes from snow gone to covered again.. back and forth week after week...

Sometimes that's how workouts feel.. back and forth.. more energy to less then thrilled.. week after week, year after year.. I know there is not going to be a time where I don't workout.. I just need to cut back some days. This is one of those days where I went through the motions, but was not into it..

I ran this morning.. 6 miles.. I didn't feel like going.. I went to Yoga.. and just wanted to do the corpse pose for an hour.. Swimming.. I sat in the hot tub for an extended time.. then sat at the edge of the pool for a long time just staring at the water.. I even tried  to convince myself... "just swim for a few laps and see how you feel". I swam for 5 minutes.. then said I'd do at least 10.. made it to 15 and called it quits for the day.. 

How can I go from reading up all about tri's and being excited to check out a new technique to blah.. not wanting to do anything at all.. 

What was the new technique? Swimming.. alternate every 3 stokes breathing on the right and left side. I'm a right side breather.. So it's a challenge switching it up... I'd rather not but I read that to know where you are going in open water it's best to see in all directions.. This means I need to practice breathing from both sides.. 


2 comments:

The Titsworth Family said...

I know the feeling! I'm actually having a "scale back" week this week. It's so hard too b/c I don't want to but I need to. Last week I started Crossfit 3x's a week at 5:30am and then ran just over 30 miles. I think my body is exhausted from getting up at 4:30 and going strong all day long. This week I've done my crossfit M/T/W and haven't ran since Saturday. Gasp! We are preparing for a trip tomorrow and I'm just mentally/physically wiped out! I keep having that little person in my head tell me to suck it up and keep going but then again, I have to tell myself that it's ok to have a light week. So hard to do!

Maybe we should both take it easy this week and then hit it hard next week! :) Keep up the great work!

Brandy

rarejule said...

I've been feeling the same way - wanting to watch myself work out instead of doing it. Give yourself permission to rest, Lorraine, and then get back into it again!