The good stuff.. Food!

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Are you really going to Measure It?

Yes.. I did.. I really measured how much peanut butter I was spreading on my whole grain toast. Steve was convinced that I used more then 1 Tbsp of peanut butter on my 2 slices of toast.  I usually do not measure what I eat. Like most people, we eye ball it and it's easy to fool ourselves into thinking we are using less. 


1 tablespoon does cover 2 slices of toast and I didn't need to work hard at all to get it spread around. 

It was kind of an eye opener for me when I went to a dietitian and she actually showed me what a serving size for a banana is.. I love my bananas. for breakfast, snacks and all the time.. It's a great replacement for cake, cookies and what ever else I might want that is not so good for me... 


The really large bananas.. those are about 2 servings each.. Here I thought bananas were around 70 calories each and really, my one large banana was probably closer to 140 calories. If your counting calories your going to be way off. Better to over estimate the calories of the foods you are consuming then under estimate if you want to see real weight loss. 

What did I find out from paying attention this week to getting more fiber in my diet? 
1) It was easier then I thought it would be to make good food choices based on just looking at the amount of fiber. 
2) I never felt like I was deprived of other foods, from making sure I had fiber with every thing I ate
3) Not everything you think has fiber, does.. Cereal.. very low.. 1g..per serving.. 
4) Don't eat it, if it's less then 2grams of fiber per serving and aim for at least 4grams. 
5) You can easily lose weight and not have to count calories. I lost 3 pounds.. 

What's my plan.. to keep thinking of getting in fiber with every meal. 

I've also heard people do take fiber pills.. I'm not ready for that one.. but if you've done it.. I'd like to hear if it was good or not so good. 

_________________________________________________

Have you taken fiber pills? 
Nope.. probably won't ever after hearing some side effects! 

What's your favorite fruit? 
Bananas, Strawberries, raspberries,  Cuties..and Green apples.. 

Where do you eat your breakfast most days? 
In our front (former dining room.. now full of old couches..) I sit by the window in a comfy over-sized chair with my laptop.. eating and typing away.. 



1 comment:

rarejule said...

Fiber in steel cut oats!! Try them if you like texture to your food and have the time to make them (or put in a crockpot the night before). Love 'em! My favorite fruits are berries - any and all variety. And I eat breakfast at my kitchen table every morning.